California Pharmacy Technician Requirements
Completing the PharmacyTechScholar.com Online Course and Passing the PTCE meets the credentialing/training requirements to register as a pharmacy technician in California
California currently offers one tier of pharmacy technician registration. This article describes the California pharmacy technician requirements as of 2020. In order to apply for a California pharmacy technician license, you must meet the following requirements:
Basic Education Requirements
Individuals applying for a California pharmacy technician license must have completed high school or one of the following:
- High school equivalence testing (GED, HiSET, or TASC)
- Passing grade on the California or an out-of-state equivalent high school proficiency examination
Background Check and Documentation Requirements
Applicants are required to submit to a background check using a fingerprinting service. This also requires providing a Social Security Number. Completion of a self-query report to the National Practitioner Data Bank is required, and this documentation must be provided with the application. Additionally, applicants must provide a passport style photo with the California pharmacy technician license application.
The current application fee for the California pharmacy technician license is $190. Applicants should also consider the cost of fingerprinting, obtaining a passport size photo, and the self-query. These services will add approximately $30 to $50 to the total cost of acquiring the license.
Pharmacy Technician Specific Training or Credentialing
California requirements include mandatory advanced training or credentialing. There are multiple options to satisfy this requirement. Proof of completion of any one of the following must be provided:
- Associate degree in pharmacy technology
- A course of at least 240 hours of instruction as specific in the Title 16 California code of regulation
- A training course accredited by the American Society of Health-System Pharmacists
- Graduation from a school of pharmacy accredited by the Accreditation Council for Pharmacy Education
- Pharmacy Technician Certification Board CPht certification
- National Healthcareers Association ExCPT certification attained on or after January 1, 2017
- Pharmacy technician training provided by a branch of the federal armed services
Using Our Course to Meet California Pharmacy Technician Training Requirements
Take Our Course
Taking our course qualifies you to take the PTCE through the PTCB, without the otherwise 500-hours of technician experience that would be required.
Pass the PTCE
Earning your CPhT credential by passing the PTCE will meet the credentialing/training requirement for registration as a pharmacy technician in California.